This may be unfortunate news for some, but your metabolism is partly ruled by your genetics. However, the good news is that genetics don’t always conquer all other aspects… like your diet perhaps! Do not fear, you may have inherited your family’s ridiculously slow metabolism, but you don’t have to be stuck with it! You can rev up your metabolism naturally by eating right in order to increase your body’s fat-burning power!
Imagine that there was an aisle in the market that was clearly labeled “Metabolism Boosters”! Do you think you would find things like soda, cake, pizza or ice cream on that aisle? The answer is no! Are you looking for foods that will speed up your metabolism similar to how a cardio session affects the body? Keep reading for a list of foods that can not only help your metabolism get up to speed, but also support in burning fat and (most importantly) lead to a healthier and longer lasting life!
- Greek Yogurt: Greek Yogurt has twice as much protein as regular yogurt. Not to mention packed with probiotics that help get rid of unwanted bloat and is an excellent source of calcium, protein, zinc, and vitamins B6 and B12.
- Green Tea: A study found that exercisers who drank four cups of green tea daily for three months had less belly fat than those who sipped other caffeinated beverages. The polyphenols in green tea have antioxidant-like characteristics that prevent cardiovascular diseases and fight cancer.
- Blueberries: Not only do they taste wonderful in smoothies and on salads, but they also contain antioxidants that help the body burn fat instead of storing it. Everybody can use more antioxidants because they help prevent the buildup of free radicals which are dangerous because they cause slowed muscle growth, fast storage and disease!
- Mushrooms: If you are looking for more Vitamin D2, Vitamin D3 and an increased immune system, mushrooms are the answer. They are linked to reducing belly fat in women and go great in salads and sauces!
- Avocados: Because they contain essential fatty acids, avocados are really great for burning belly fat, plus they go with everything from salads to smoothies! Packed with 20 different vitamins and minerals, they help control blood pressure, are good for your eyes, and great for cell repair for women during pregnancy!
- Chicken and Turkey: Studies show that women who get at least 30% of their calories from protein weigh less than those who get half that amount. When picking your meat, try to buy organic and hormone free. Lean meats like Chicken and Turkey contain a wonderful source of Vitamins B, B1, B6, Zinc, and Potassium. They can also lower your cholesterol, prevent birth defects, cancer and heart disease all while aiding in nerve function and growth!
- Salmon: This calorie-burning muscle builder is loaded with omega-3s, low in saturated fat, high in protein and incredibly health promoting. Salmon has essential fatty acids, cannot be made by the body, and therefore must be consumed! Also, it’s ridiculously good for your heart!
If you are looking for helpful nutrition and dieting tips, contact Dr. Michael Joseph at Neck, Back, Arm, Leg and Headache Pain Relief Clinic of Marin today! You can reach our San Rafael office at (415) 223-9060. Our goal is to help you achieve optimal health. We are there for you every step of the way!